Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Moment of Truth

There is no easy way to say this, so I’m just going to come out and say it. I watched “The Moment of Truth” last night. I know, I know, I’ve castigated the viewing public for watching crap like this, but a confluence of circumstances led to this and I feel the need to unburden myself on my two regular readers. I’ve been trying to rationalize it by saying “oh well, I’ve written how bad this show is, but never watched it. That’s not fair”. That’s a bunch of crap, because I’m always willing to make fun of stuff, even if I’ve never seen or experienced it. However, this is my moment of truth.

While watching a rerun of an old “Family Guy” episode, the Duchess decided she was going to take a shower. Boo-yah. This gave me time to watch the last 10 minutes of last week’s episode of “Lost”. Watching Locke put a live grenade in someone’s mouth and finding out that Aaron is not only one of the Oceanic 6, but also being paraded as Kate’s child, well, that got my mind working overtime, so I wasn’t ready for anything that would make me think. Thankfully as this ends, my regular TV was still on FOX. Then, I see Marky Mark L. Walberg telling us that this episode of “The Moment of Truth” is so crazy, that there was discussion of them not even airing it, but this is FOX, so of course they are going to air it. He says that if he had his choice, it would never be shown. Of course, he doesn’t mind the paycheck, so on with the humiliation.

We start off with some 20 something hair dresser from New York. With her are her parents, brother, sister, and husband (a NYC cop). They start off with the standard fare questions, like “Would you rather give leftovers to a stray dog than a homeless person?” and “Have you ever taken pleasure in one of your siblings getting in trouble?” You know, harmless crap. Then they step it up with “Have you ever been fired from a job for stealing money?” and “Would you steal money from your current job if you wouldn’t get caught?” I was like “whatever, she’s a scumbag” and kept watching. Then, she throws her dad under the bus (this coming after he said he was proud of her) by answering “yes” to the question about her dad keeping secrets from her mom. Let’s just say Mom didn’t look too pleased. Then, we get to the good stuff.

So, they’ve been teasing these questions all night and we finally get to it. She admitted that she thought she was in love with another man on her wedding day. Let’s just say the cop husband didn’t look pleased. Then, they trot out her ex-boyfriend and let him ask if she would leave her husband if he wanted to get back together with her. At this point, Marky Mark pleads with someone to hit the escape button (this dumb button her family can hit if they don’t want the answer to a question, but can only hit it once). The husband wants to hear the question, but sis hits the button, saying no one would want to hear the answer. I could think of a couple million people, starting with her husband and her ex-boyfriend. Of course, if you hit the button, it just gets replaced with another. I want to know if sis thought it would be “do you like dogs better than cats?” because you have to figure it probably wasn’t going to get any easier. So, they let the ex ask if she feels she should be married to him instead of her husband and she says “yes”. So, he leaves feeling content he destroyed a marriage and she gets to the $100,000 mark. Marky Mark tells us that he has never had to ask questions like this before. Come on, you hosted 3 seasons of “Temptation Island”, you saw, heard, and asked crap that was a lot more scandalous than some tramp who can’t let the past be the past. Anyway, asking if she should quit, her husband says “you can’t say anything to me that’s any worse.” It’s like he’s asking for it. She needs to answer 3 questions correctly to get to $200,000. If she answers one incorrectly, she loses it all. The first question is if she ever had sex with anyone other than her husband while married. Wait for it, wait for it. BOOM. That’s the sound of her marriage blowing apart after she answers “yes”. The husband just puts his head down. The look on Mom and Dad’s face is priceless. Then she gets asked the question if she thinks she’s a good person. Well, she’s deluded enough to think she is, and answers that way. Too bad it was false. She walks off to the arms of her family who are all a little more disgusted with her (especially her husband).

I think we all walked away with something here. The chick walked away with no cash and a bad reputation. The parents and siblings walked away with the knowledge that they are related to a STD ridden bitch. The husband walks away with a tape to show at divorce court showing he won’t have to pay any alimony. Finally, I walk away with one hour of my life I’ll never get back, a few less brain cells, and the need to take a shower.

No comments: