Friday, January 18, 2008

Who Am I And My NFL Thoughts

Today, we’re going to play a little spirited game of “Who Am I”. I’m going to describe a person and it’ll be up to you, the faithful reader, to try and guess to it is. The answer will be at the end of today’s post. I’m also going to give my predictions for the AFC and NFC Championship Games. Oh joy. Well, let’s get this started.

I am a writer/pseudo-celebrity who writes for a major sports website. I started out writing moderately funny stuff about sports but quickly turned into a self-aggrandizing ass clown. In my columns, I drop so many names; you would think I was People Magazine. I want to sound cool, so I tell you how I went to this person’s house or how I saw this person at a Clipper’s game. I tell you all about the stuff I do as a pseudo-celebrity, like lame go cart races and fantasy basketball leagues. I even recently started a podcast because it’s not enough for my hordes of fans to see my words, but hear my voice. I can barely muster the strength to write one column a week, as I’m so weighed down by my own ego, so I let my wife handle it or I let my fans carry the load by printing their emails or links. Only recently have I been espousing my political views, as I am in a position to make valid arguments on candidate’s views. I don’t worry about alienating any readers, because I know that I tell my readers what to think. I’m currently writing a book which will probably contain as little new material as my first book, and my hordes of fans will make insist I do a book tour, as they need to see me as well. Who Am I?

As for this weekend’s games, almost everyone and their mother thinks the Packers and Patriots are going to come though. But as my man Lee Corso would say, not so fast my friend. Now, the Giants and the Chargers can’t win by doing what they did last week, which is managing the game and not doing stupid things. Basically, both teams need to do exactly the same thing, which is create pressure on the Quarterback, manhandle Wide Receivers, and pray that their own Quarterbacks don’t make any stupid mistakes. The Chargers have a bit more of a problem because Billy Volek will be prominently involved, and we saw how well he did when he was a backup in Tennessee. Plus, Tomlinson and Gates are banged up, so their effectiveness goes down. Still, if there defense can make big plays and there offensive can have some bite, they can cause trouble for the Patriots. For the Giants to win they need to rush Favre (they were the best team in regards to sacks this year) and they need to use the running game to grind away at the Pack, and keep the ball out of Favre’s hands. I still think both the Packers and Patriots win, but I don’t think it is as cut and dried as everyone thinks.

The answer to this installment of “Who Am I”? The answer is ESPN’s Bill Simmons.

No comments: