Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Random Thoughts About Football And The Yeti

I have some random thoughts about the weekend in general and figured I would share them with my adoring readers. Not the toothless inbred hick who left the comment here about the girl who got boo-ed at the Indy game, but the rest of you.

Is Jim Nantz on crack? While watching the Patriots complete yet another drubbing of the Chargers, Nantz enters into this long winded correlation between the memorialized number 91 on the back of their helmets and the fact that their first drive of the season was 91 yards. I want to know how long Nantz has been waiting to bust out that gem. What would have happened if the Pats lost? Would Nantz have had to sleep on the nugget, never to be used? How did Phil Simms not smack him? I need answers.

More than one person has made the comment that this year’s Super Bowl is like Super Bowl XXXVI in 2001, with the high favored and high powered Rams against the plucky Pats, facing an overwhelmingly favored opponent. I don’t buy it. I feel this is more like Super Bowl XX, which featured the Bears against the Pats. The Bears had the most fearsome defense of all time, while the plucky Pats had to battle 3 quality opponents, on the road, before finally making it to the show. This year, the Pats have the most fearsome offense of all time, while the plucky Giants had to battle 3 quality opponents, on the road, before finally making it to the show. So don’t give me this “How does it feel to be rooting for the Rams” crap, at least get your analogies right when taunting me.

If I hear one more person talk about Tom Brady and his injury, I’m kicking that person in the baby maker. Everyone, from the postman to the fat broad at the train station, has been waxing intellectual about this like they are the head orthopedist at UMass General. The best was the New York newspapers asking doctors to tell us about the possible injury from still photos and grainy images from youtube. How about this? We wait until the injury report and/or media day. Hell, Brady will be on the morning drive-time show on WEEI this morning, let’s listen to that. I don’t need a guy who probably got his degree from Upstairs Hollywood Medical College to tell me that Brady’s foot is broken because of the way he was carrying his flowers for his girlfriend.

Since yesterday was a holiday, I was given the day off by the evil, soul-sucking corporation I work for. I was flipping through the channels and stumbled across a show called “Monster Quest”. This details the dateless wonders out there who will talk to anyone about their quest to find Big Foot, the Yeti, or any other possible monster you can think of. So anyway, they had this one on yesterday about how Stalin tried to make this ape/human hybrid to be the ultimate killing machine, since, you know, Stalin was crazy. Anyway, this show was on the History Channel. I’m not sure whether to be offended as a former history major or as a History Channel fan. I mean, is this really worthy of the History Channel? I’m pretty sure this wasn’t even fact, but just made up by some poor, slovenly looking kid who can speak Klingon and lives in this mother’s basement. Stalin was more than willing to let 1 million soldiers die in a single battle, I don’t really think he was concerned about the viability of this ape/human hybrid. Seriously, this passes for a show on the History Channel? Just give me another breakdown of some random Revolutionary War battle and be done with it.

Back to the games on Sunday. Are the Chargers just the biggest bunch of whiney bitches ever? Last year, the king of the sack dance (Shawne Merriman) and the cry baby wimp (LT) pitch a fit because of the way the Pats celebrated on their field. This year, one of their offensive linemen decides to call out Richard Seymour…..after the game. Listen, if you’re going to call Vince Wilfork a dirty player, fine, I accept that. But I have never heard this about Richard Seymour. Why not give us some things he did that you didn’t like and when it happened. We’ll all check the tape and see if you are telling the truth or whining because you lost and are a little bitch. One more thing, after the game, I had nothing but respect for Philip Rivers. He played a hell of a game in bad conditions on bad knees that need surgery. Tomlinson, on the other hand, was in there for like 3 plays and couldn’t go anymore. If he was so emotional about possibly getting to the Super Bowl (as Phil Simms kept telling us), don’t you think it would have taken multiple people to keep him off the field? Plus, I love how Norv Turner threw him under the bus after the game, saying the Tomlinson kept himself out. Way to coach Norv.

The Giants didn’t really win that game, the Packers lost it. I will give the Giants credit, they played very good defense and Eli was just competent enough to win the game. However, they made numerous mistakes that the Packers never capitalized on. If they hope to win the Super Bowl, they need to cut down on the errors and take advantage of any errors the Pats make. There is no way around this. How did the Giants not keep feeding Plaxico Burress? At one point, he even told the Packers bench no one could cover him. Maybe he should have told his own coaching staff and Eli, as he could have been utilized even more than he already was.

I will hold off on making any Super Bowl predictions until next week, as Tom Brady may need his foot amputated. I’ll be back in a day or two with more fun filled comments to make your day just that much brighter.

No comments: