Thursday, March 5, 2009

Random TV Thoughts

Here are some random TV thoughts I’ve had over the past week.

1) Does ABC’s Wednesday night line-up have a fascination with the 1970’s? I mean, you have Life on Mars on at 10, and now the gang from Lost has finally stopped hopping through time….in the 1970’s. Wouldn’t the clothes, Carter, and Watergate make us all want to pretend the 70’s never happened?

2) Speaking of ABC, I give up already!!! You’ve beaten me down with enough ads for Castle that I’m willing the check it out but only if you stop running the ads. I mean, that’s how you got me into Life on Mars (not too bad, as long as you lobotomize yourself so you forget the British version). How about you start showing me ads for Cupid, because I want to see that.

3) The Duchess was randomly flipping through the channels this weekend and she came across some The Soup rip-off called The Dish on some obscure cable channel I can’t remember. After about a second, I busted out with “Holy Crap, that’s Topanga Lawrence!” With Cory Matthews showing up in Chuck and Rider Strong popping up in an episode of Bones, it seems like the kids from Boy Meets World are finally taking the world by storm. All we need is that kid who played Minkus to pop up in an episode of NCIS and all will be right with the world.

4) Speaking of Duchess related channel surfing, she came across the show 17 Kids and Counting, about a family that doesn’t believe in birth control or naming a kid without the letter J. Anyway, one of the kids was getting married to some skirt and they said that they were “saving themselves for marriage”. You know what, I was glad. I think more kids should at least wait until a long lasting committed relationship before jumping into bed. Then they dropped the bomb.

You see, they aren’t only waiting until they get married for sex, but also to kiss. No, seriously. These two kids haven’t even kissed one another. They feel it will be more meaningful if they wait until they are married. Huh? So, I turned to the Duchess and asked her how she would have felt if I told her I didn’t want to kiss her until after we were married. Sketchy, strange, and a little off-putting would have been her thoughts (and who could blame her). I’m still flabbergasted by this. I just can’t wrap my head around it.

5) Reaper premiered this week, well ahead of when they actually announced it would premiere. It’s like the Head of Programming at the CW used to work for FOX. Anyway, at the end of the episode, when the Devil is waiting for Sam to leave his job, he’s sitting there on his Trans-Am and “You’re the Best” by Joe Esposito is blaring from the stereo.

For those of you not “in the know”, that is the song that is playing during the All-Valley Karate Tournament montage in “Karate Kid”. Also, it’s a quintessential 80’s song. I was starting to get pumped, and then I remembered the part when Daniel beat Dutch. There is no way Dutch loses to Daniel. That completely ruined the movie.

No comments: