Thursday, November 13, 2008

Trent's Touchdown - Week 12

What a horrible week for college football this week. We get treated week in and week out with Big 12 shoot-outs in prime time and this week, yet this week we get nothing. I guess we can all look forward to the big Texas Tech/Oklahoma tussle next week. Until then, here is this week’s Touchdown:

1) No. 25 South Carolina at No. 4 Florida – 3:30 on CBS

We already know that Florida will play in the SEC Championship Game, but in order to keep hope alive for the National Championship, they need to win out. Florida has been doing everything right since its one point loss to Ole Miss. While nothing is a sure thing in the SEC, Florida knows what it has to do and should throttle South Carolina. Florida just seems like they are a few steps ahead of everyone else right now.


2) Boston College at No. 19 Florida State – 8:00 on ABC

Sooner or later, I’m going to get to stop hyping this FSU team. While young and dumb (at times), they are very talented. There shaky QB situation early in the year was helped by their strong running game. However, stopping the run is one of the few things BC does well. One of the things BC does poorly is passing the ball. I wouldn’t trust Chris Crane to successful tie his shoes, let alone complete a pass. FSU should win this easily.


3) No. 11 Ohio State at Illinois – 12:00 on ESPN

Ohio State is like a bad penny, they keep turning up. As hope was beginning to fade for OSU, Penn State goes and loses to Iowa, giving OSU new life. They still have tough games against Illinois and Michigan though. I don’t trust Illinois at all; they have been all over the place this season. Seriously, Juice Williams can only do so much. I think Ohio State wins.


4) No. 13 Oklahoma State at Colorado – 8:00 on ABC

While Oklahoma State was rebuffed with extreme prejudice by Texas Tech, I still think they are a very good team with major bowl chances. Oklahoma State can neither overlook Colorado nor wallow in the fact they won’t win the Big 12. Not to downgrade what Texas Tech did, but Oklahoma squandered chances on both sides of the ball that would have kept the game close. They need to take advantage of these chances against Colorado if they even want a chance of beating Oklahoma.


5) No. 10 Georgia at Auburn – 12:30 on ESPN Gameplan

Tell me I’m not the only one who is a little skittish about Georgia. Something about them doesn’t inspire confidence. The numbers are all there, but I just can’t put my finger on it. Auburn on the other hand looks completely overmatched in most every game they are in. There QB play is horrible. Let’s put it this way, I would trust Chris Crane over whatever joker they decide to put in there. Georgia should roll (of course, they should have rolled against Kentucky too).

6) No. 6 USC at Stanford – 7:00 on local channels

Do you think Pete Carroll is going to have any trouble getting his team ready for this game? I would just show them last year’s game over and over again.


Extra Point:

7) You know, normally, near the end of the season you get all the classic showdowns that make college football worth watching. It’s sort of our reward for making it though the first couple of weeks without bleeding out of our eyes.

The last couple of weeks have been fantastic, especially with all the struggles in the Big 12 South. I just want to know how this week popped up. I was really grasping at straws after game 1.

I do have to say, if you want to spend some quality time with your significant other or do some early Christmas shopping, this weekend is the week. I mean, there is no way I’m going to be able to convince the Duchess that I need to see the Ohio State/Illinois game, so I’ve resigned myself to a weekend of shopping and bag carrying. Damn you schedulers!!!!!

No comments: