Thursday, May 22, 2008

Chelsea Fans, This Is For You

One of the drawbacks of being a working stiff like me is the fact that you can watch high class sporting events that take place during the normal work day. Such was the case with the epic Man U/Chelsea grudge match the other day. One of my friends kept me informed throughout with profanity laced tirades whenever Man U failed to convert or if Chelsea did convert. When he told me that the game was going to penalty kicks (probably the most cruel and arbitrary way to end a sporting event), I knew one thing for sure, the fans of the losing team was going to feel gut punched. While I do not share their pain over this lose, I feel I should do something. So, in honor of all the Chelsea fans out there, I’m going to give you my top 5 worst sporting event memories. Anyone else can feel free to join in to show support to our Chelsea loving brothers and sisters.

5) 1998 NBA Finals, Game 6, Chicago at Utah – I don’t watch the NBA anymore, but back in the mid to late 90’s, I loved it. I was a particularly big fan of the Utah Jazz (I have no idea why). So, when Utah regained home court advantage by beating the Bulls in Chicago in Game 5, I felt pretty good. With the Jazz up by 3 with less than a minute left, I felt really good. Then it all came apart. Jordan makes a layup to cut the lead to one, and then steals the pass from Stockton to Malone. With the ball for the last shot, Jordan throws defender Byron Russell to the floor to create an open shot, which he makes. No foul, since he’s the best playing in the league and Russell is some nobody. Let’s just say I was screaming colorful obscenities at the TV for many minutes.

4) UEFA Euro 2004 – Group B – France vs. England – I’m kind of strange when it comes to soccer. While I have no national allegiance to either team, I am a really big fan of the English National Team and completely despise France, so I knew this game had the opportunity to hurt. Things were going fine, nice flow to the match, and Lampard got a goal in the 38th minute to put England up 1-0. Good times. Then England decided to play not to lose and that always works out well. England was on the ropes most of the match after that, but kept France out of the net. It was all good until stoppage time, when Zinedine Zidane made not one, but two stoppage time goals (91st and 93rd minute), leaving England fans confused, distraught, and angry. Well, more so than normal.

3) Super Bowl XX – Patriots vs. Bears – This would be higher, but I was young and didn’t know any better. Basically, you have the nearly unbeatable Chicago Bears against the plucky New England Patriots. Everyone knew the Bears were going to win, except delusional Patriots fans. The Bears even performed “The Super Bowl Shuffle” prior to actually playing the game. The game, for Pats fans, was an utter debacle. Turnovers, sacks, negative offense plays, and even a safety typified the Patriots offense that day. The 36 point blowout left a young Trent Lane wondering where is all went wrong.

2) 1994 World Cup – Second Round – USA vs. Brazil – My father had always tried to get me interested in soccer, but I found it boring and confusing. However, when the 1994 World Cup game to country, I finally understood it and loved it, especially the shocking US victory against Columbia. The second round match featured the upstart American squad against the powerhouse that was Brazil. As a relatively new fan, I had high hopes. Those hopes exploded at the same time as Tab Ramos cheekbone. It’s late in the first half, and the US team is hanging around, harassing Brazil. Then, while Ramos is harassing Leonardo, he unleashed a vicious elbow that dropped Ramos like a sack of potatoes. Leonardo got the red card, but the damage was done. As I watched the main offensive weapon of the US get taken off the field, I knew it was only a matter of time. That time was the 72nd minute, when Brazil finally got the only goal of the game. The game instilled a deep loathing for the Brazilian team in my heart.

1) 2003 ALCS – Game 7 – Red Sox at Yankees – I’m not going to rehash this because then I might start sounding like Bill Simmons, and nobody wants that. All I will say is that Pedro should have never come back out in the 8th. After the game, I was staring blankly at the TV, wondering how defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory. I wondered around the next day a little dazed, a little hallow, and a lot angry. Probably like Chelsea fans feel right now.

Sorry guys, its tough, but we’ve all been there. Buck up, you’ll get through it.

No comments: