Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pink Doesn't Go With Black and Gold

To start off, yes, I watched the Bruins game last night. I’m not going to sit here and wax intellectual on the game, making it sound like I know the slightest thing about hockey. I pretty much stopped caring after the lock-out, like most people. So, I have knowledge of the game and know some of the Bruins players, but I can’t start spouting out stats and matchups. I can’t tell you who won last years Stanley Cup, but I did have one piece of knowledge. I knew the Bruins would lose to the Canadians. I just figured it would be done in 5 games.

When my buddy DB emailed me prior to the series and said the Bruins would be swept, I put my little knowledge to work and made the argument that they would fall ass backwards into a win, probably at Game 3, just to draw the fans in before playing like a bunch of asshats and getting smoked in Games 4 and 5. See, the city of Boston didn’t care about the Bruins, which made them so appealing to someone like me. With the pink hatters on the Celtics bandwagon and slobbering over the Red Sox, the Bruins were left to toil in obscurity, with the true fans attending the games and having discussions like “Could a young Cam Neely kick the shit out of Milan Lucic?” at the Penalty Box afterwards. Of course, it was for this reason that Games 3 and 4 at the Garden were packed with Habs fans (which lead to many a drunken brawl). Then the unthinkable happened. The Bruins won Game 3, but lost Game 4, leaving them down 3-1. Instead of throwing in the towel, they actually pulled together, and won Game 5 in Montreal, then Game 6 back in Boston, heading to the pivotal Game 7 in Montreal. Because of this, the pink hatters took notice, and it all went downhill from there.

After watching Game 6, I got kinda amped for Game 7. This was like old-school hockey. Habs/B’s, Game 7, hard hitting, it was going to be fun. Then Monday rolled around. I walked into work on Marathon Monday and it all went to hell. Since the Sox were playing at 11am, that left the whole afternoon for hockey. Sure enough, as soon as the Sox had it well in hand, the chatter started up. Some kid who didn’t even watch or talk about the Bruins all season was suddenly “The Bruins are on a roll. They can win tonight. Plus, they match up well against Pittsburgh, so they can do things.” How about this? SHUT YOUR GOB! You don’t know what you’re talking about, you pink hatted ass clown. Seriously, why did he have to open his mouth? It’s like he was intentionally trying to piss me off. He wasn’t the only one. I heard it from other people, I heard it on the train, and I heard it when the bandwagon jumpers called WEEI. None of these people had seen one period of hockey all year, and now they feeling the can talk intellectually about the Bruins. No you can’t. You’re a tool and should not talk or go to games or piss me off in any way.

By the time I got home, I didn’t even want to see the game. It was like it was ruined for me. I watched it anyway, but had no enjoyment while doing so. At 8pm, I turned the channel to “Bones” on FOX. The Duchess said I could keep watching, but the game was pretty much over for me. I checked during the commercials and the situation became bleaker. When the final horn sounded, the Bruin’s were put out of there misery, 5-0. You could almost hear the stampede away from the bandwagon. The pink hatters have skipped happily back to the Red Sox and Celtics and I don’t have to worry about them until next years Stanley Cup Playoffs. At least I know I can watch the Revs and not have to worry about pink hats.

No comments: