Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Emmet Otter, Nicole de Boer, and Other Thoughts

And now, a brief respite from all the sports related posts recently.

With Christmas approaching, we are going to start seeing a lot of Christmas movies on TV. By movies, I mean 2 hour long crap-fests that are suppose to make my heart fill with Christmas cheer, yet leave me wondering how many C-list celebrities they can dig up to fill some of these roles. There are only 3 Christmas movies worth watching. They are A Christmas Story, Scrooged, and Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas. End of story.

Did anyone else notice this story? You can actually purchase a casket with the Red Sox logo on it. No, this isn’t a joke. Why not bury someone in a pink hat while you’re at it? The only upside to it was the Duchess and I had competing jokes last night. After hearing that a family had purchased one for their terminally ill father by saying “it’s what he would have wanted” I countered with “I think he would have wanted to live more.” The Duchess decided to inquire if the Red Sox would be putting their logo on tampons and douche in the future. Too many low-brow jokes followed after that one.

As much of a steaming pile of crap Stargate Atlantis normally is, there will be one thing I will miss when it’s gone. It’s the guest stars. A few episodes ago, I was treated to a two-part episode with the incomparable Michael Shanks, who reprised his role of Dr. Daniel Jackson. Any time Shanks gets to do Daniel Jackson like things, it’s fun for the whole family. A few episodes prior to that, we got a guest appearance from the one and only Nicole de Boer. All you Trek and Dead Zone fans are nodding your head right now.

Speaking of Stargate Atlantis, once this and Battlestar Galactica are no longer on the air after this season (one voluntarily, one not so much), the Sci-Fi community needs a standard bearer TV show. As a voting member of this community, I want my say. While my vote will probably go to Doctor Who, I want to throw Sanctuary onto the ballot. It’s fun, inventive, and doesn’t drown itself in mythology….too much. Isn’t that what sci-fi should be about? Oh and before you mention it, Lost is not a sci-fi show; it’s an action/adventure show. I don’t get Life on Mars as sci-fi, you don’t get Lost.

If you’ve watched TV or listened to the radio in the last month, you probably know that the movie Hancock is out on DVD and available for you to buy. Hey, we didn’t spend money to buy tickets to this toxic waste pile, why would I buy it and sully my DVD collection? That’s neither here nor there. In the ads, and I mean all of them, they ruin the big reveal of the movie. I’m not going to spoil it, but that was the whole twist of the movie. Whoever put together the ads must have worked for FOX, because these are almost as bad to when they were giving away 24 storylines in the “next time on 24” ads.

I would like to thank IMDB for all the links in this post. Whether knowingly or unknowingly, I thank you and ask you to please not sue me.

No comments: