Friday, August 15, 2008

Nastia Liukin Kills Story, Wins Gold

It was all laid out before me. Last night, while watching the Women’s All Around, I had the perfect story all planned out in my head. I had funny jokes and thoughtful insight. I planned on ranting about idiotic judges all while trying to convince faithful readers that I wasn’t a homer. Then, Nastia Liukin took it all away.

How, you may ask? She frakking threw down. After the first two events, I was sure she would have the gold stripped from her. She threw out big performances in both the vault and uneven bars and was given woefully undervalued scores. As an aside, Shawn Johnson wasn’t getting much better. Now, since I know absolutely nothing about gymnastics scoring, I like to turn to the announcers for help. However, when Tim Daggett is left wondering what the heck is going on, there really is no hope for someone like me.

The balance beam wasn’t looking pretty either, when Yang Yilin and Shawn Johnson got similar scores, even though Johnson’s routine was superior. However, Liukin came out and did what champions do. She gave the judges nothing but a great performance, a stuck landing, and a big middle finger to any judge who wanted to deduct too many points. Now we had to go to the floor routine to for the Gold.

The last three competitors on the floor routine were Yilin (in second place), Liukin (in first place), and Johnson (in third place). Yilan came out and gave a serviceable performance, but due to Liukin’s performance on the beam, left the door open for both Americans. Then Liukin came out and utter slammed the door on Yilan and Johnson, giving it everything and securing the Gold. Johnson came out, threw in a more difficult jump (which had the announcers wetting themselves) and snatched the Silver.

So, my dream of a snarky article about bias judges was destroyed by Nastia Liukin. All her hard work, dedication, and heart of a champion all derailed my petty and self-serving rant. I couldn’t be more proud. Way to go Nastia!!!!

No comments: